These are not evidences that Microsoft future is grim. What makes Microsoft's future a compromised one, is the exodus that keeps happening dating from less than an year ago.
- Sinofsky: Windows head Steven Sinofsky leaves Microsoft
- Mattrick: Microsoft's Don Mattrick Leaves Microsoft To Become CEO Of Zynga
- Orth: Adam Orth leaves Microsoft following 'always-on' console controversy
- DelBene: Microsoft's Office chief out after musical chairs reorg
- Mundie: Another senior exec leaves Microsoft
- Larus: Non-Windows Microsoft Operating System Creator Leaves the Company
- Scott: Microsoft CIO Tony Scott leaves to ‘focus on personal projects’
I'm pretty sure that this exodus will continue, or even increase, due to Ballmer's restructuring of Microsoft. And it might keep happening after the restructuring ends, as most talented people aren't happy to work for Microsoft as those that work for Google.
Note to recruiters: Please don't offer me a job. I already have the best job in the world at the best company in the world. Note to engineers and researchers: see why.But it's even worse than that... the one that should be leaving is staying: Ballmer... alone?
UPDATE: Dec. 18, 2013
The exodus continues. Ballmer is leaving, but Microsoft is still bleeding talent.
- Agüera y Arcas: A Microsoft star goes to Google
UPDATE: Feb. 18, 2014
Another one bites the dust...
- Jason Holtman: Jason Holtman Leaves Microsoft After Only Six Months